Around this time of year, some of us feel downer around the holidays. We don’t want to get out of bed, hate the colder weather, and feel our spirits are much lower. This year has been rough for me with the blues. Not as jolly about Christmas, not watching many Christmas movies, not noticing many decorations in my house, and so on. The winter blues have never been this bad until this year.
I have found two comforts, though: books and music, particularly the Christmas kind. As I’ve said before, the arts bring me comfort when I need it most, and this winter is no exception. My mood is still blue, but it’s not unbearable. Maybe the arts can help not just me, but others, remember that there is still joy this time of year. People that are selfless, kind, and humble. Giving, forgiveness, and fellowship shining bright against hate, meanness, and more. Maybe it’s wishful thinking.
However, I still have hope.
I hope by reading a Christmas book or listening to Christmas songs, your spirits will be lifted, even if a little. I’ve included a list of some books and tunes that have cheered me up this holiday season and in years past. May these make you smile as they have for me.
- The Christmas Candle by Max Lucado
- Gideon’s Gift by Karen Kingsbury
- The Christmas Angel Project by Melody Carlson
- The Christmas Cat by Melody Carlson
- The Christmas Company by Alys Murray
- The Mistletoe Inn by Richard Paul Evans
- David Archuleta, Winter in the Air
- Mandisa, It’s Christmas (Christmas Angel Edition)
- Michael Bublé, Christmas
- “A Baby Changes Everything” by Faith Hill
- “Merry Christmas Darling” by The Carpenters
- “Believe” by Josh Groban
- “The Heart of Christmas” by Matthew West
- “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Ingrid Michaelson feat. Leslie Odom Jr.
- “Where Are You Christmas?” by Faith Hill
- “Little Saint Nick” by The Beach Boys